HELP! What do I do with clothing that doesn’t have clothing care instructions? I have a garment without care instructions. It has a tag with a number “4″ in a triangle. Am I suppose to know what the “4″ stands for? Can you help with clothing care instructions?
OUR ANSWER Who says garment care is easy?!!! Most home-sewn garments will carry a tag like that, a numbered code in a triangle to signify specific care instructions. Manufactures and importers of fabrics sold by the piece from bolts of fabric for the purpose of making home-sewn textile apparel are required to provide both care information and/or this numbered code on the end of each bolt.
Detailed Laundry Care Instructions
Let’s demystify the code to keep you from pulling your hair out. It’d be a good idea to print this and tape it to the inside of a cabinet door in your laundry area. Here goes:
- Machine Wash Warm
- Machine Wash Warm; Line Dry
- Machine Wash Warm; Tumble Dry: Remove promptly
- Machine Wash Warm; Delicate Cycle; Tumble Dry Low; Use Cool Iron
- Machine Wash Warm; Do not Dryclean
- Hand Wash Separately; Use Cool Iron
- Dryclean only
- Dryclean Pile Fabric Method Only
- Wipe With Damp Cloth Only